Lachute Golf Club
Founded in 1923 by Gilbert E. Ayers, the Lachute Golf Club is recognized across Canada as a premier club that is rich in history. Marked by its mythical past, the establishment has had the honour of hosting legends such as Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino, Nick Price and LPGA legend Judy Rankin who won the 1977 Canadian Women's Open (Peter Jackson Classic) that was hosted at Lachute Golf Club.
The Thompson Course - The town of Lachute, originally called "The Chute Settlement" by the Americans and Scots of Jericho, Vermont, who settled there in 1798, has changed over time under the influence of French Canadians to become the city of Lachute that we know today. True to the tradition of their homeland, the Scottish Ayers family began gradually building the first nine holes of the Lachute Golf Club in 1923. Twenty years later, driven by the growing popularity of this noble sport, the club could finally afford to complete the course. The legendary Canadian golf architect, Stanley Thompson, undertook the task of rebuilding the golf course into a true, 18-hole championship golf course that was opened for play in 1949. Today, the layout remains true to its original design thanks to constant efforts to restore features from that era.
The Watson Course - Howard Watson, originally from Lachute, entered the world of golf architecture in 1930, after graduating from the University of Toronto in Agriculture in 1929. He spent the next two years learning about golf architecture from the great Stanley Thompson. Watson's first solo design dates back to 1933, when he built nine holes in Seaforth, Ontario. After serving in the Canadian Army during World War II, Watson returned to golf architecture. It was in 1957 that Watson was commissioned to build a new course at Lachute Golf Club, that would be for members only. In 1961, “Le Parcours des Members” officially opened featuring a layout that was modern for its time stretching to 7000 yards which remains today an excellent challenge for any golfer.
Today, the club and its two courses are accessible to both members and the public as the establishment continues, after almost 100 years, to be at the heart of the community.
Our mission is to honour the legacy of the club and improve playing conditions, restore the ecological balance to the environment through our naturalization programs, provide unparalleled customer service and create a social environment that makes golfers feel at home.
Extent of 'Thompson' Work
- Reference to Macleans article, May 1949
- Reference to Canadian Sport Monthly, July 1949
- Ian Andrew's personal research