St. Thomas Golf & Country Club

St. Thomas, Ontario

In 1908 George Cummings was asked to find a location for a new course. Cummings chose the 40-acre property located just east of St. Thomas on the north side of Talbot Street adjoining the C.P.R. tracks that was owned by Marcellus and John Hughes. On January 8, 1909 the first bylaw of the newly formed Elgin Golf and Country Club was to assume ownership. By 1920 a decison was made to find another location to faciltate an 18 hole course. In May 1922 Stanley Thompson and club members R.M. Anderson and W.L. Agnew made a thorough investigation of local properties. Stanley Thompson and Company Limited, Golf and Landscape Engineers, Toronto, presented a report and recommendations for a new property. The report was accepted and the Whaley farm at Union consisting of one hundred acres “more or less” was purchased for $ 12,000. On November 23, 1922 a motion was passed which stated “the name St. Thomas Golf and Country Club is not so nearly resembling that of the Elgin Golf and Country Club as to cause confusion in the minds of the public.” The new charter incorporating the St. Thomas Golf and Country Club, under the Ontario Companies Act was issued by the Province of Ontario on January 2, 1923. In February 1923 the golf club was reorganized with the Elgin Club merging with the new club.

Mailing address

St. Thomas G&CC
42325 Sparta Line
St. Thomas, Ontario
Canada N5P 4B1

Contact information

Former names

Elgin G&CC

Extent of 'Thompson' Work

18 hole design
New done by Stanley Thompson & Co. Ltd (architect: Stanley Thompson)
Verification level: Level 1


  • Plan of Layout
  • Stanley Thompson Co. Ltd- Golf Architects Advertisement
  • Ad for recent commissions
  • Stanley Thompson Co. Ltd advertisement
  • Many New Courses
  • Lorne Rubenstein article (Appendix II)
  • Article in Ontario Golf Magazine
  • Article in Canadian Golfer
  • Reference to St. Thomas GC in 'The Toronto Terror'